Saturday, 6 October 2012



After a two hour job interview, the last thing I wanted was to go to yoga.  THE LAST THING.  I begrudgingly put on my leggings and tank top and leg warmers (very Flashdance, it’s getting cold here).  I lugged my ass to Granville Island on the bus, flopped onto a mat and bemoaned my hideous day to my neighbour.  Our teacher got up in front of the class and said, “I’m feeling that energy is a bit low right now…”  Very perceptive.  There was a lot of child’s pose going on in class.  One of the women near me at the back of the room actually lay down on her back, pulled a blanket over her entire body and skipped the whole practice.  I didn’t know we were allowed to do that!  I would have had a nap too if I’d known!! 

After practice, the last hour of class started delving into structuring a class.  Terrifying stuff, this coming up with your own lesson plan malarkey.  I know a number of primary school teachers who would be calling me a wimp right now, but it’s true.  First stop, a warm up.  Easy, right?  Totally easy.  Get everyone to breathe and Om and stretch their arms over their heads a few times, maybe a few cat and cow stretches…  Until you start teaching another student and realise that it’s easier said than done to lead someone else’s breathing, or find the right words to tell them to look over the right shoulder and tuck their right hip up towards their ribs…  Time to pay more attention to the language my teachers use in class, I think.  There’s at least another hour of class time to fill yet…

Pin It

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive