Monday, 15 October 2012


In initial teacher training we’re supposed to learn roughly 40 poses in extensive detail.  You’d think that would be easy to fit into 200 hours, but with the actual daily practice, anatomy, guest teacher workshops and all the philosophy that also needs to be squeezed in there, there’s a tendency to rush through a few at a time in one big block.  Like yesterday’s squish of Side Angle, Pyramid, Revolved Triangle and Revolved Side Angle, all in 2 ½ hours.  These are all standing poses, they’re not easy to teach, and there’s a whole lot of extreme stretching and bending going on in there. 



yogajournal.com

Revolved Triangle (Parivrtta Trikonasana) is my official asana nemesis.  We’ve never really got on.  I once got into a brief argument with a yoga teacher who simply wouldn’t accept that I couldn’t place my lowered hand on the outside of my front extended foot.  I just didn’t have the flexibility in my hamstrings or lower back at the time and God knows he hadn’t instructed any kind of proper warm up.  Now, unfortunately, I also think of the shmuck every time I do the pose.  Andrea Ferretti wrote a great article last year, Enough is Enough, for YogaGlo about the use of props in difficult poses and gave the example of Revolved Triangle.  Yogis with Triangle trouble should definitely read it.  Next time, I'm finding myself the nearest wall...

Andrea Ferretti

Pin It

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive