Saturday, 20 October 2012




Advice from a Tree

Stand tall and proud
Sink your Roots deeply into the Earth
Reflect the light of your true nature
Think long term
Go out on a limb
Remember your place among all living beings…
Be content with your natural beauty
Drink plenty of water…
Be flexible
Remember your roots
Enjoy the view!

                                                     Ilan Shaman

I’ve never enjoyed being in Tree (Vrikasana). I blame Bikram.  When I was practicing Bikram, “Tree” was actually standing Half Lotus, which I DID enjoy.  Then when I stopped going to yoga to endure heat exhaustion and screaming teachers, I realised that Tree is actually a one legged balance with the lifted foot pressed flat against the standing leg.  I didn’t like having my foot pressed against my upper thigh – it felt wrong and I didn’t like the pressure it put on my knee.  Last night our teacher encouraged us to lift out foot and place it on the standing leg WITHOUT using our hands to arrange the foot higher towards our pelvis.  This meant I could only get it just below my knee and this was actually REALLY comfortable.  I’m always going to do Tree like this now!    

Our other Friday night focus pose was Wide Legged Forward Bend, or Prasarita Padottanasana.  After 10 hours at work, this was particularly beneficial.  I just threw my hands over my head and hung towards the floor.  Awesome.  
Yoga Journal

Pin It

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive