Thursday, 25 October 2012

http://whatpeoplelike.blogspot.ca


When I’m in the middle of a yoga class, I now have a tendency to stop and think, “Ooh, that would be good for the blog.”  Last night, in the middle of an unexpected NOT-vinyasa-powerflow-from hell Ashtanga class, our substitute teacher pointed out that there was “no word in Sanskrit for SCRUNCHING”.   She was referring to the tendency to compact your neck in shoulders in certain poses, of which I’m guilty on occasion, and I laughed, thinking this would be a good blog title for the evening. 

After practice, we had a super quick session on Warrior 3, which was taught to us from standing in Tadasana (Mountain).   I’m a power yogi so this is not how I normally like to come into W3.  I prefer to be in a lunge like Warrior 1 or Crescent, but one of our teachers, Cam, emphasized that it’s important to start in a posture like Tadasana so you can establish balance first before slowly lifting one leg and leaning forward.  The analogy he gave was basically this – “You’re holding your new born baby and you need to pass it to someone 15 feet away.  You don’t throw your baby, you walk over, gently hand over the baby and say, Can you hold my baby? Thank you.”  He suggested that W3 was the same – you slowly and carefully lower into the position – or as Cam repeated with amusing gestures, “YOU DON’T THROW YOUR BABY!”  On the mat beside me, my friend C laughed and said, “And there’s your blog title.” 

http://kosmicamusic.com/wp/category/the-yoga-reference/

Sutra 2.39 “One who is not greedy is secure. He has time to think deeply. His understanding of himself is complete.”
 
Apart from the Warrior 3/baby throwing conversation, we also touched on our last yama from the Yoga Sutras, Aparigraha, or non-hoarding/non-grasping.  This is in reference, of course, to belongings and objects, but also to relationships, friends, emotions, followers, etc.  God knows I move too often to really hoard THAT much.  Although, really, do I need five pairs of jeans?  Or all the jewelry that I never wear, but drag from country to country with the vague thought that I MAY need it at some point?  It’s all about recognizing what you want and what you really need.  There’s nothing wrong with STUFF, per say, as long as it doesn’t define who you are as a person.  And there’s nothing wrong with abundance, as long as you share it with others. 

 “When one is steady in living without surplus possessions and without greed, on realizes the true meaning of one’s life, and al life unfolds before one… Aprigraha means not only non-possession… but also freedom from rigidity of thought.”  B.K.S. Iyengar
 


Pin It

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive