Sunday, 28 October 2012


I don’t like to be told what I can and cannot eat.  I make my own decisions and try to avoid the hoopla of modern diets and restrictions and all the blah blah blah on the cover of every magazine in the Western world geared towards women.  I once went to see a nutritionist when I lived in London.  The consult was in her very messy living room where, after talking to me for 20 minutes, she decided that I had a magnesium deficiency and put me on a diet of brown rice for three meals a day.  AND she charged me £80 for the pleasure.  Needless to say, I’m pretty sceptical about anyone who looks at the brightness of my eyes and tells me that I should avoid caffeine, alcohol, nuts and legumes.  I don’t have anything against people who do want to live this way, but I went into our Ayurveda workshop with a very big pinch of salt. 

Our lecturer Angie, of Rediscover Vitality, studied Ayurveda in India and has been practising for almost a decade so I was willing to accept that she knew her stuff.  There’s a lot about Ayurveda to squeeze into a three hour workshop so we really only covered the Dosha’s (Vata, Pita and Kapha) and a quick quiz to establish our Dosha.  For example, my quiz results told me I’m predominately Vata.  Apparently Vata’s are quick and lively in thought, make friends easily, are light sleepers and prefer warm environments…. Definitely sounding like me.  But do I really believe that my body type and personality can be boxed into a stereotype to be treated with a set list of instructions about what I can eat and drink, when I should sleep, what type of yoga I should practice…. No.  I’m not really sure about that.  And I’m DEFINITELY not keen on the idea of a sunflower oil colonic.  I’m just saying.  

If you’re interested in learning more about it, there’s a lot of info at the Ayurveda Institute website, including a list of foods each Dosha should avoid.  Apples, watermelon, dried figs, tapioca, yoghurt, CHOCOLATE… Why would I do this to myself?!

Pin It

1 comments:

  1. New Diet Taps into Pioneering Concept to Help Dieters Get Rid Of 12-23 Pounds in Only 21 Days!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive