Monday, 19 November 2012


I’m unemployed again.  This means I have time to cook again.  Hallelujah.  My sister sent me some Australian food magazines for my birthday and I took advantage of my first day off in a while to dive into some kitchen time. 

So I went into the local fish monger on a search for some firm white fish, the recipe suggesting whiting or ling.  Standing in front of the counter, I had a choice of salmon, salmon, salmon, salmon, and more salmon.  I’m in Canada, so I don’t know why I was surprised.  The fish monger saw my bemusement and asked me what I was looking for.  When I said whiting or ling, he looked completely bewildered.  I tempered my response to ‘white fish’ and was pointed to cod, cod, cod and cod.  I don’t like cod, and I wasn’t willing to spend $30/lb on halibut, so I succumbed to the inevitable and walked across the road to Safeway.  My attempts to support local business are being thwarted…


Fish, Coconut, Coriander
Recipe by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall, featured in Delicious Magazine, November 2012
Serves 2

250g skinless white fish fillet (I used sole)
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
½ thumb-zed piece of ginger, peeled and grated
1 tbsp olive oil
20g unsalted butter
165ml coconut milk
Bunch coriander, leaves picked
Fresh lime juice
Steamed rice to serve

Cut the fish into finger-sized pieces, carefully removing any bones.  Place fish in a bowl with the garlic, ginger, olive oil and some salt and pepper.  Marinate for 15-20 minutes.

Place a small fry-pan over medium-high heat.  Add the butter and, when foaming, add the fish to the pan with the marinade.  Cook for barely 1 minute, turning the fish pieces a few times, then pour in the coconut milk.  Bring to a simmer and cooked for a further 1-2 minutes or until the fish is cooked through. 

Throw in the coriander and squeeze over some lime juice.  Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed, then bring to the table.  Serve over steamed rice.  


Pin It

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive