Sunday, 11 November 2012


I’m coming down with something.  I’m not sure what exactly – the bubonic plague maybe?  Swine flu?  Typhoid fever?  Whatever it is, my throat is constricted, I’m getting congested and I want to curl up on my yoga mat with a few bolsters and pull a blanket over my head.  Fortunately, our Friday night YTT teacher Jacci, has an uncanny knack of looking at room of yogis and instinctively knowing just how much energy we have, or don’t have.  A session on seated and supine twists was perfect for we aching, tired yogis at the end of a long working week. 
http://www.fitho.in

Twists are awesome.  Twists remind us that the human spine can more in more than one direction at any one time.  Twists remove all the aching tension we build up over the day and make us feel that little bit taller and free.  They’re good for our spinal health and flexibility, and also great for digestion.  In basic YTT we cover Great Sage Pose (Marichyasana), Half Lord of the Fishes (Ardha Matsyendrasana) and a Reclining Spinal Twist (Jathara Parivartanasana).  Savasana gets thrown in there two, although there's not really a lot of direction you need to give for a pose in which you lie on your back and chill-out, even if it is the most important post you practice.  I’ve just gone back to office work and, after spending 8 hours a day sitting at a desk, all of these asanas feel awesome.  For a good twist routine, check out this old-school Tara Stiles video - 



Homework?  Come up with a 30 minute series of seated postures and twists before leading towards Savasana, to be taught to a partner on Sunday.  THIRTY MINUTES.  Do we really spend 30 minutes on the floor in a class?  I suppose we do in a 75-90 minute class but I don’t normally notice.  This is going to be…interesting.  Whoever I’m paired with had better be prepared to spend at least 20 of those minutes in Savasana…

Pin It

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive