Saturday, 24 November 2012


There’s something about Kundalini yoga that makes me a little… aggressive, I think is the best word.  After jumping and sweating and holding my hands about my head for longer than is possibly natural for 75 minutes, I wasn’t in the best mood and so not psyched about a 45 minute lecture on finding the courage to be a yoga teacher.  I was hoping to cram in some more teaching in our last three classes.

We did have a 15 minute mini-lesson on mudras which I was very glad of, even if it was ultra-quick.  Mudras are symbolic gestures, usually involving the hands and fingers, and in yoga are often used in conjunction with pranayama. 

www.shaktibakti.com
Basic mudras with the fingers include;
  • Thumb and index finger = Knowledge
  • Thumb and middle finger = Patience
  • Thumb and ring finger = Vitality
  • Thumb and pinky = Clear communication

The thumb and index finger together is also known as Gyan Mudra, which connects to pure knowledge, or enlightenment. 
Anjali Mudra is the hands together in prayer, which means to honour or celebrate.
Yoga Mudra is when you interlace your fingers behind your back.  This is a balancing mudra.

So next time a yoga teacher instructs you to do one of these mudras, but doesn’t bother to explain why, now you’ll know!

Pin It

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive