Friday, 7 December 2012



I have a mild chocolate addiction.  I eat a lot of chocolate.  It’s not like I buy a lot of chocolate, it just finds me.  But even the best quality chocolate involves sugar and I’m trying not to go too crazy with the sugar in the lead-up to silly-season, when chocolate seems to stalk me.  One of my favourite ways to sooth the chocolate-fix cravings is to make my no-bake addiction... chocolate almond chews.  I discovered the original concept for these babies at Oh She Glows where Angela uses cacao nibs, but I find using raw cacao powder more fun (even though I LOVE cacao nibs).   My nephew loves these – they’re great for kids because they’re full of natural energy without high levels of processed sugar.  I really don’t need the high levels of processed sugar either, so this is my go-to recipe for a post-yoga snack.



Chocolate Almond Chews

¼ cup almond butter
2 tbsp agave syrup
½ tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp raw cacao powder
1 cup puffed rice (look for puffed rice at your health food store as commercial varieties contain sugar)

Put almond butter, agave and vanilla extract into a microwave safe bowl and heat for 45 second.  Stir to combine.  Add cacao powder and stir until smooth.  (The liquidity of the mixture at this point will depend on the oil content of your almond butter - if it's too dry, add a tablespoon of water at a time until it reaches a more liquid consistency.)  Pour in the puffed rice and gently stir until it is completely covered in the almond-cacao mixture. 

With wet hands, roll a heaped tablespoon of the mixture into a ball and place on a plate lined with baking paper or aluminium foil.  Repeat with the rest of the mixture.  Place the plate in the freezer and wait anxiously for those chocolaty balls of chewy goodness to become firm. 

You can keep the chews in a container either in the freezer or fridge, depending on how firm you like them to be.  I couldn’t tell you how long they last…I’ve never been able to keep a batch for longer than a day before they’re all gone! 


Pin It

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive