Saturday, 15 December 2012


Once upon a time I went through a really long phase where I avoided food containing grains.  No wheat, no rice, no barley, blah blah blah.  I gave up on this manic adventure but I’m still interested in gluten-free food because so many people I know have gone GF. 

I love pancakes and pancakes are one of those things that are difficult to get right GF.  I usually avoid GF flour (ie the stuff you buy in the supermarket that’s generally full of potato starch) because I find it heavy and dry, and it doesn’t lift the way regular flour does.  I’ve tried a lot of alternatives, including almond flour, soy flour, buckwheat flour (which is great for crepes, not so much for pancakes) and the list goes on. 

This is by far my favourite GF pancake recipe.  It’s actually entirely grain-free and dairy-free (I also have a number of friends who have given up dairy!).  It’s a light dish as opposed to your usual pancakes so your significant-male-other/brother/father might be a bit miffed, but for Coeliacs it’s a healthy, creative option. 



Gluten-Free Banana Pancakes

Serves 1 girl-before-yoga sized appetite, boys/anyone with a hangover may need to double!

1 ripe banana
1 tbsp nut butter (I like using raw almond butter)
1 large egg
Yoghurt and fresh fruit, to serve

Combine banana, nut butter and egg using a small food processor or blender.  If you don’t have a food processor, you can easily mash the banana in a bowl before whisking in the nut butter and egg by hand. 

Heat a non-stick fry pan over medium heat.  Pour the batter into the pan and cook until bubbles start to form in the batter and the bottom of the pancakes is lightly golden (about two minutes).  Flip the pancakes and cook for a further 1-2 minutes. 

I like to serve up my pancake with a big dollop of plain yoghurt and fresh berries, but of course you can indulge in any topping you like. 



Pin It

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive