Saturday, 21 December 2013

It's a double post kind of day as I finally let rip with a rant about the truly unpleasant experience at the Bluewaters in Cottesloe at the beginning of the week.  Normally I like the food at Bluewaters, but when I ordered Bircher muesli and was served still half dry muesli, doused in milk, I was mildly bewildered.  MILK for heaven's sake.  I don’t like confrontation.  Nine times out of ten, I don’t speak up when I’m not happy with something in a restaurant because it’s generally easier just to let it go, but on this occasion, after picking off the fruit, I mentioned to the waitress that what I had been served was not bircher muesli.  Because I’m a muesli snob, I pronounced it the Swiss-German way – “birk-er”.  (I once lived with a half-Swede chef who was very, very adamant that I pronounce it this way)  The waitress informed me that I had actually ordered “birch-a” muesli…. When we had clarified that we meant the same thing, I just wanted to politely explain her that I did not expect my dish to be presented this way.  She informed me that this was just the way it was served at Bluewaters.  Realising that this was a 'the customer's always wrong ' situation, I decided it wasn't worth arguing about and wanted to just pay and go.  

When I went to the bar to pay, in fairness to the waitress, she had asked if it could be removed from the bill, but alas no – because that’s the way the bircher was served and this was a matter of taste and taste is “subjective”.  I use quotation marks because this is actually the word she used.  It wasn’t a matter of “subjective” taste at all, it was just simply a disgusting excuse for a breakfast dish.  For $14. 

Home made Bircher - note the lack of a milk swimming pool
So, to the chef/s of Bluewaters, I offer this recipe – what I expect when I order Bircher muesli.  When I’m feeling energetic, I make my own mix of oats, nuts/seeds and dried fruit, but if I’m lazy, I’ll buy a pre-prepared box of raw muesli from the supermarket – no sugar, or processed grains.  There’s a lot of argument about whether to include the yoghurt and apple before or after you refrigerate the oats overnight, but I don’t think it really matters. 


Bircher Muesli (for two small appetites, or one large hunger)
2/3 cup whole oats
1 tbsp slivered almonds
1 tbsp sultanas or any dried fruit of choice
¼ tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup fresh orange juice (or apple if you prefer and can be bothered to juice it fresh)
1 apple, grated
3 tbsp plain yoghurt (I like Greek)
Fresh fruit or compote to serve

Place the oats, nuts, sultanas cinnamon and orange juice in a bowl.  Stir to combine and refrigerate overnight. 

In the morning, stir in the yoghurt and grated apple.  Top with fresh fruit or compote if that’s your thing.  


Bluewaters Cottesloe on Urbanspoon

Pin It

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive