Thursday, 23 January 2014

If there's one thing I freak out about and leap up and down and clap my hands repeatedly when I read a breakfast menu, it's sticky black rice.  When I was recovering from some mysterious bug in Bali recently, it was all that I wanted to eat.  

I rarely make it though because I'm lazy, lazy, lazy.  It's not that it's difficult to pull together, but because you need to soak the rice for at least 8 hours before use.  That's a long time. I very rarely plan my meals that far in advance.  Getting home from Bali last week, I promised myself I would crack open the packet of glutinous black rice that had been in the pantry for.... months probably.    

Technically, this recipe isn't entirely traditional as I used agave syrup instead of palm sugar, but obviously you can use palm sugar as your dominant sweetener if that's your thing - I just couldn't be bothered to grate enough of the stuff!!  (Okay, to be honest I did try grating it and took off a good chunk of skin from a knuckle on my right hand and gave up...)



Bubur Injur - Sticky Black Rice 
Serves 2

½ cup glutinous black rice, soaked in water overnight, or at least 8 hours
Pinch of salt
1 tbsp agave syrup
1 cup coconut milk
Palm sugar, grated to serve
Fruit of choice (I used mango, but banana or lychees are great)

Drain the black rice and place in a small saucepan with one cup of water and salt.  Bring to the boil, cover and lower the heat to simmer for 35 minutes.  Turn off the heat and leave the rice covered for another 15 minutes to steam. 

Stir through agave syrup.  Divide rice between bowls and pour over coconut milk.  Top with grated palm sugar if desired and sliced fruit.  Close your eyes and pretend you’re on a tropical island.  

Pin It

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive