Thursday, 9 October 2014


Oh Ali, why on earth would you expect anything more than a teabag in an American café?  They throw their tea into the harbor, after all.  During the fifteen minutes I waited for the waitress to finish setting up the café after opening time, I had a lot of time to decide between tea and coffee, and I eventually decided on tea.  It’s not that there’s anything wrong with tea bags really, but they’re messy and I always feel like I’m paying far too much them.  


While all this dilly-dalllying was going on, I was excited about ordering bircher muesli for the first time since I arrived in LA.  When I ordered, the waitress asked me if there was a bircher in the fridge.  I looked, there was.  She instructed me to take it.  She asked me if I would like a bowl.  Yes, I decided, it would be nice to have a bowl and enjoy the small luxuries of eating breakfast out.  She handed one to me so that I could spoon the muesli from its plastic cup into the bowl myself.  I may have smirked. 



Very basic and slightly lazy service aside, the muesli was yummy and their menus are actually really good.  Their selection of ready-made salads, pastries and cakes looked nice too, but if I was living in the area I’d probably be coming in for their long list of salads and sandwiches to order.   


It’s ridiculously overpriced for what is essentially a glorified deli, but in Silver Lake I’d say it’s one of your best options for quick and healthy food.  Also, it’s so rare that I see bircher on the menu that I would go back and snatch it out of the fridge again – but not until at least 15 minutes after opening time, just to make sure I don’t have to wait so long to be served.  


FoodLab on Urbanspoon

Pin It

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive