Friday, 23 January 2015

Joanna Newsom via 

I once read ‘teaching instructions’ by a yogi who suggested that you shouldn’t play music with lyrics during a yoga class because the words, and the students’ associations with those words, would distract them from the class.  Obviously, I ignored this suggestion, but it’s true that a lot of songs on this playlist take me way, way back to certain places when I hear them.  Not when I’m teaching, thank goodness, but when I’m putting a list together for sure.  Joanna Newsom reminds me of the year or so that British telco Orange used This Side of the Blue for their New York blackout commercial before every single film playing in cinemas, every single time you went to see a movie in London. It became a little tiring.  Starsailor always reminds me of my first year in UK, when Four to the Floor was a massive hit and I played it on an endless loop, original and remixed.  Whenever I hear Idioteque, I remember the exultation I, and every other Radiohead fan felt, when they finally released a new album after almost five years.  But I called this playlist Mash-up because obviously there’s a few popular DJ mashes in there. Good mashes are hard to find.  I tested this list this morning and a few of my younger students loved it. 

I couldn’t find Lux’s Northern Lights anywhere on Soundcloud – it’s a beautiful track and you can listen to it here.




In traditional Ali vs Soundcloud fashion, not all of the tracks allow widgets (apparently) so you'll need to go HERE to listen to the rest of the playlist. 

Northern Lights – Lux
Reach a Bit Further – Wild Beasts
Sleepykids – Passion Pit vs. MGMT
Viva la Pompeii – Bastille vs. Coldplay
A Punk Paper Plans – Vampire Weekend vs. M.I.A.
Four to the Floor (Thin White Duke Mix) – Starsailor
Idioteque – Radiohead
Sleepless – Flume ft. Jezzabell Doran
Everything is Everything – Lauryn Hill
Lion’s Share – Wild Beasts
Lesson in Patience – Chet Faker
Gabriel – Lamb
This Side of the Blue – Joanna Newsom
Say Hello – Nitin Sawhney




Pin It

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive