Tuesday, 27 January 2015


Two things I’m bad at –
1)  Eating potatoes.  Many years ago I read that potatoes have absolutely no nutritional value when cooked so I abandoned them. 
2)  Following recipes.  I’ll have half the ingredients… I won’t read the instructions all the way through before starting to cook… I finish cooking and realise that I’ve left out one of the ingredients… etc, etc, etc. 

I was attempting to follow a Gourmet Traveller recipe… but it just got away from me.  It’s actually nothing like the original in the end.  It was the shallow frying – the recipe called for shallow frying and I tried to bypass it and then I just ended up making something else together.  But it worked. 

As I say, potatoes are normally something I buy or even eat in general, but I was at the Mar Vista farmers’ market on Sunday and there were these bags of skinny fingerlings and little red potatoes and I just thought they were so pretty I had to buy them. 

Obviously, if you want to make this dish vegan, leave out the Chevre and substitute the butter for more olive oil. I slapped a big spoonful of Babaganoush on the side too, just for fun.


Lemon Potatoes and Brussel Sprouts
Serves 2 as a light meal or 4 as a side dish

500 g small potatoes, such as fingerlings, halved
250 g Brussel sprouts, halved
50 g butter
1 tbsp olive oil
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 lemon, zested and juiced
1 tsp hot smoked paprika
50 g Chevre (optional)
A few sprigs of fresh mint, leaves stripped and roughly chopped

Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil and parboil the potatoes for 4-5 minutes.  Add the Brussel sprouts to the pot and boil for a further 2-3 minutes.  The potatoes should be easily pierced with a knife and the sprouts should still be bright green.  Drain and set aside. 
Place a large saucepan over medium heat and add the butter, olive oil, garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice and smoked paprika, stirring gently until the butter melts.  Season to taste. 
Add the potatoes and Brussel sprouts to the pan and sauté until golden and tender, about 5 minutes. 
Remove to two plates and scatter with mint and Chevre if using. 


Pin It

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive